
Recently on BBC two there was a documentary/ interview with Tracey Emin conducted by Piers Morgan ( I think it is still on BBC i-player if you want to see it for yourself). I missed the start, however I was hooked straight away when I saw how passionate she was. When she mentioned her thought process for her piece "Everyone I have ever slept with" it immediately resonated with me.
Her work is poeticised truth with disinhibited honesty depicting her spiritual and physical anguish. I thoroughly respect her limitless creativity that stems from her personal experiences that she exhibits to the outside world. Her work has been perceived as controversial and egotistical.
However, I believe it has tremendous purpose, if she has no justification for a piece, it will not be created. Her work is her voice, it is the audience’s parogative to decide whether they like it or not. I want to use her lack of respect for boundaries and create work which I can personally justify being in existence, in Emin’s words, “I want society to hear what I am saying, for me being an artist isn’t just about making nice things or people patting you on the the back; it’s some kind of communication, a message”.
No comments:
Post a Comment