Friday, 5 September 2008

Knife crime


From watching the news and reading newspapers knife crime is becoming more and more rife with young people being stabbed on British streets daily. 

The Metropolitan police have produced anti-knife campaigns in response to this.

From watching an advert like this below. I do not not see how this would stop a young person carrying a knife. They carry them for protection, they are scared for their own safety. They want to feel safe, telling them carrying a knife "is not a good look" is not going to make them feel anymore safe. 

I can understand the message the video is trying to get across. However I believe it falls on deaf ears. Relating knife crime to purely "looking cool" is only looking at a minute part of the reason. They need to feel safer on the street. Don't just throw messages at them. Speak to them, understand them, ask them what would help the situation. Adverts like this avoid the real realities of this problem which need to be addressed they do not contribute to a solution. 

Heres the link:



No comments: