Friday, 5 September 2008

The Pixar Story


This documentary is about Pixar's meteoric rise, starting with Toy Story leading to consecutive hits such as Finding Nemo and Ratatouille to name but a few. 

Before I watched this I knew very little about Pixar. It seemed to me that with all the success Pixar have seen the whole process must have been plain sailing. However, this was not the case. 

Pixar was born when computer scientists and animators spun off from Lucas Film to do what they love, explore the possibilities of animation and push the boundaries. This was a whole new world, animation was still in the very early stages and no-one knew what the future held. 

Something I learnt was that when Pixar were struggling financially, Steve Jobs (CEO, co-founder and Chairman of Apple Inc) invested, and continued to even though he was losing money initially. He must have seen the future potential Pixar.

What I found inspiring from this film was the sheer determination of the people behind Pixar especially John Lasseter. They risked it all to pursue their dream and vision. They had to battle with Disney, over-come financial problems and work extremely long hours. They never lost sight of their dream, no matter what the critics thought. 

No comments: