Thursday, 11 September 2008

Requiem for a Dream

I had often heard this film name mentioned, or I would see the DVD case in HMV and just passed by. Eventually I decided to watch it, and what a good descision that was. 

Requiem for a Dream is about four people, who's lives change dramatically due to their personal addictions to drugs, prescription and illegal.   

The story essentially is very grim and unhappy, however  I was captivated by the direction of this film. The story is emphasised through the use of short takes, fast line-of-action cuts and time elapse photography. The sheer contrast of imagery from almost dream like to the stark isolating reality embodies the highs and lows that the characters endure.

The music from the film has been used for many other productions and is very recognisable (composed by Clint Mansell and performed by the Kronos Quartet).  Building from soft tones to a climatic crescendo at the end of the film which combines with the before mentioned directing producing a cinematic masterpiece.  

The website for the film encapsulates the film itself and also worth visiting afterwards.


No comments: