Friday, 26 September 2008

Tate Modern


From getting off the train these Graffiti images grabbed my attention and I was looking forward to see many more interesting things inside.

I have been once before when I was much younger and I thought my oppinion would change but it has not. From the outside you think, wow! However if you scrutanise what is actually in the gallery, it will fail to really get you particularly excited about art and design. Inside the MOMA or Gugenheim you can interact and be part of alot of the art on display, they are places where you can become excited.

You may disagree, but in my humble opinion the Tate Modern fails to achieve enthusiasm for art and design, it is a place full of large empty rooms with silence and the occasional sound of footsteps. 

The Tate seems like a gallery with a selective audience. Galleries are supposed to be for everyone, not just a minortity. Young people should enjoy places like this and become excited, not passing through each room as fast as they can to reach the gift shop, (which I saw alot of when I was there).

It seems a shame to me that people who do not normally visit galleries will judge the world of art and design with their first impressions of the Tate. 

No comments: